Pi Beta Phi’s Literacy Vision:
Read. Lead. Achieve.®, is the Fraternity's literacy platform, which encompasses our literacy initiatives and literacy vision for the next 100 years: Pi Beta Phi leads the way to a more literate society. Pi Beta Phi will accomplish this vision by providing tools, which support literacy skill development and engaging initiatives aligning with the following principles:
- Pi Beta Phi’s philanthropic work will be rooted in friendship.
- Pi Beta Phi’s philanthropic work will be uniquely Pi Phi.
- Pi Beta Phi’s philanthropic work will make its impact locally.
- Pi Beta Phi’s philanthropic work will encourage reading.
- Pi Beta Phi’s philanthropic work will allow members to give of time, talents and treasures.
- People who can read tend to be more successful and have more earning capacity.
- Literate parents set their children up for successful and healthy lives.
- Illiteracy is a factor in the rate of homelessness, domestic abuse, poverty and lack of healthcare.
- 80% of citizens in prison didn’t finish high school; half of those can’t read or write at all.
- Increasing high school graduation rates by just one percent would save $1.4 billion in costs associated with jails and prisons.
Beginning in 2012, all chapter and alumnae organization financial support for Pi Phi literacy efforts have come together under The Literacy Fund through Pi Beta Phi Foundation. The collective financial resources of Pi Phi’s fight for literacy will be harnessed and targeted at programs where they can have the most impact. Gifts to The Literacy Fund support all Pi Phi literacy initiatives under Read. Lead. Achieve. including Champions are Readers®, Arrow in the Arctic, Fraternity Day of Service, Pi Phi’s First Book® Partnership and much more.
Today, through numerous initiatives and unique partnerships, Pi Phi continues the tradition of supporting literacy and education for children and families.